Tuesday, July 24, 2007

at home parents....

My hat goes off to everyone who stays at home with their children. Let me explain, I teach in Minneapolis. For the first time, since I became a mother almost 6 years ago, I choose not to teach summer school. I am a over half way through the summer and going crazy. I miss the interaction with adults and think I have seen every Disney show at least twice.

We have been keeping busy but being with her 24/7 is about driving me crazy. Don't get me wrong, Kiran is the joy of my life. I have learned to treasure those times, even for 5 minutes, that we are separated. Two of my nieces are also hanging out with us. Let see, we have been to several parks, the library, a few movies, a play, a few of my nephew's baseball games. I am running out of things to do. Did I mention we painted and rearranged Kiran's room.

How do you do it, at home parents? One thing I have noticed, joining the world as a soccer mom this summer, is those in two parent households, they do tend to get a little break.

Next week we are going up to my brothers' cabin and then mommy is having a girls weekend in Wisconsin. I am sooooo looking forward to that.........

Mary

4 comments:

alan said...

Dottie stayed at home from the time the boys were in early grade school through high school. Mostly we did it with credit cards, as I was laid off a lot through that period as well.

So we're still paying off all the plastic, but have a couple of pretty good kids to show for it, lol!

alan

yellowdoggranny said...

It's a great thing you are doing ..staying at home with your daughter is a hard thing to do..I love to play pool and would take my kids to the pool hall and taught them how to play pool...maybe not the typical thing for a single mother to do..but all 3 of my kids are great pool players to this day.ha..check out what the local library has going on..they have reading programs and summer activities where you can go leave them for a few hours and get some grown up time for yourself..
thanks for coming by for a visit..

dragonflyfilly said...

hi Mary;
i know exactly how you feel; - i stayed home with my daughter until she was 11 (then i left my husband and i went back to school, and then went back to work)...but those first 7 or 8 years WERE difficult, i remember them clearly.

BUT, what i realize now is that i made them more difficult than they needed to be; (i really miss them now and wish that i had had a different attitude about it).

I think what will make it easier is to create an attitude adjustment, and instead of fighting it, and focusing on how "crazy" it makes you feel, become "childlike", look at the world through her eyes, and concentrate on what is in the NOW, and not what was in the Past, and realize that "this too shall pass", and sooner than you think, she will be AWAY, and i don't want you to look back at these times with regret.

I know this, because i have been sorting thru. files and papers and stuff, and looking at the baby, toddler, and adolescent photos of my daughter i wish that i had enjoyed the time more, instead on thinking about what i used to have with adults, and wasting time wishing for something different.

You know, a lot of adults aren't all that fabulous, with our deceits, our jadedness, our grasping ambition, (and our regrets), so completely immerse yourself in her childlike world. Remember how fast time would fly when you were a child?

I know it is difficult, 'specially if you are doing it on your own, and if money is tight etc. However, if i could make some suggestions; collect rocks, paint silly faces on them. Collect leaves and flowers, get wax paper and show your daughter how to press them in books (even last year's phone books are good for this). If you can get to a beach or a big sand box, build gigantic sand castles with her. HAVE FUN...'cause you just don't know what is around the next corner!

Certainly it is important for a child to learn how to interact with their peer group, but a child's best teacher is a loving emotional stable adult.

oh yeah, and that is a terrific suggestion ~yellowdog granny~, Library Storytime! [hey you might even meet a cute intelligent adult that is looking for a little company, eh?]

Anyway, most important of all, have fun. And if you want some adult chat, maybe we could meet at a Google chat room?
my e-mail is posted on my Blog, but i don't know how to set up the chat feature, maybe you could help me?

cheers for now, and good luck!
pj

Green tea said...

I was a stay at home Mom and yes the summers drove me nuts.
But we lived near a park and back then the city had all kinds of activities for kids so i got a break.
Have you ever taken Kiran to the Imax
theater?
She would love it.